"Don't dig your grave with a fork and knife" (Old English Proverb)



Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Stuck Between a Rock and Hard Place

One of my favorite yoga teachers once asked:
"Are you reflecting or projecting today?"

We have a tendency to dwell for so long on our problems that a thought as simple as 'Hm. It's been a year and I still havent found anyone I feel like expending the energy to seriously date' quickly morphs into 'Oh my god my ex is already bringing his new girlfriend 3000 miles home to meet his family he's going to get married before me I'm going to die a spinster and alone.' Finally able to recognize the warning signs of the tortuous downward spiral that usually ensues following these types of projections, I wanted to start off today on a more positive note and contemplate the question posed by my much wiser yogi.

Are you capable of viewing your problems for what they really are?
Or do you also want to magnify and project onto others any and all your grievances? It must be the curse of humanity to be so vain as to want to view ourselves in a much larger than context than we really are.


This picture brought me some solace this morning. From the trip to Peru I took with aforementioned ex years back, it's a picture of the rock piles the hikers past had left as they climbed Machu Picchu. As the travelers journey past, each one is supposed to place another rock on top of the last one left behind. If the pile collapses the next hiker starts it all over again. It becomes a marker that represents a single spot that is changed, augmented, sometimes even destroyed by random people who are otherwise unconnected. It makes me think of how far and yet nowhere it seems like I've gone over the past year. Touched by many random people, built up and broken down by the same, and now just waiting for the next traveler to venture past...

Think about and thank the people who have added to and detracted from your rock pile. I figure even if we've fallen down, the next person to come by will shape us in a totally different way.
We hope maybe for the better.

1 comment: