"Don't dig your grave with a fork and knife" (Old English Proverb)



Saturday, April 14, 2012

Dokter Trina

Following the earthquake off the coast of Sumatra (no worries, Ubud is thankfully no where near the places they were concerned would be affected!) my poor mother put on her Concerned Parent Hat and furiously skyped me to yell at me thousands of miles away, the crux of her irrational fear causing her to question why in the world I had chosen Bali as the launching point for my spiritual journey.

There are no coincidences. The way you do anything is the way you do everything. I've worked so hard to try and shape all the decisions I make and keep the people I do around so that everything and everyone is aligned with the greater purpose I am trying to fully uncover. Mid rant my mother ridiculed my quest to 'find myself' to which I had to correct her - this journey was not about some fluffy concept of retreating to the tropics with like minded hippies to try and be something im not for a little while. This was never about finding myself as I've never really ever felt lost. This is about understanding myself and only through that process can we understand how to better serve others.

Blips of affirmation are arising just about every moment here. One of the most clear messages I received to confirm that im living life in alignment with purpose was when I had the privilage to put on my Doctor Hat just a few days into the teacher training. The heat here can be stifiling, and coupled with all the rigorous physical exertion we're undergoing and most of our dietary changes lending more towards juice fasts, raw diets and just generally less consumption it was inevitable that people were going to start falling ill if not careful. One of the students became so dehydrated that she fainted during the middle of the session. Thankfully I recognized that the situation was not life threatening so when people started screaming that she was having a seizure I was able to check her vital signs, capillary refill, turgor etc and jump into action elevating her heart over head and making sure she was prepared to throw up when she came to post vaso-vagal syncope. It was humbling that the program directors trusted me to take charge and we didn't have to send her to the hospital, which would have been a feat in Ubud. On top of that, I was able to give a lecture on ways to properly counteract fluid and electrolyte deficits and signs and symptoms to be aware of. I love helping people but that was one of the first times I really began to understand just how much of an impact I have the potential to make on society and what a privilege it is to know as much as I know! I've earned a new nickname now as several of my classmates now refer to me as Dokter Trina.

The past 6 days have been mentally, physically and emotionally challenging on all levels as very tragic and personal issues close to home and my heart have occurred during this time too. But instead of internalizing and festering with the pain, Im coming to see that It's All About the Is-ness. More to come on this concept soon :D

Wishing you all may one day be able to also find a way to step out of the darkness and closer towards the Light <3


1 comment:

  1. "Mid rant my mother ridiculed my quest to 'find myself' to which I had to correct her - this journey was not about some fluffy concept of retreating to the tropics with like minded hippies to try and be something im not for a little while. This was never about finding myself as I've never really ever felt lost. This is about understanding myself and only through that process can we understand how to better serve others."

    I couldn't agree more. I love you and hope the rest of your time proves to be even better - heartache, discovering, loving, and all :) - Ruhi

    ReplyDelete