"Don't dig your grave with a fork and knife" (Old English Proverb)



Monday, January 25, 2010

Step 3: Implement and Execute

Seeing that it's the night before a quiz, I'll be brief.

Food for Thought #1: Nutritionists don't lie. If you do in fact consume calories from a healthier source your hunger is zapped and your energy sky rockets! Despite eating about 1/3 of what I'd normally been consuming over the past month, I paid better attention in class all day and felt like a zillion dollars after running 3 miles at the gym (a task which I anyways complete about every other day but feel like I got hit by a truck consistently every time thereafter). And the best part....I made it through the day without ANY caffeinated beverages! And better still, I quadrupled my water intake (which I had calculated to be ideally 92oz per day but according to that algorithm I'm still a few ounces short).

Food for Thought #2: I came to realize that up until now, pretty much my entire life has been very fickly executed. Though I have a long history of many of them, individual relationships are always ephemeral. How much I'm willing to do for friends and family is always dictated by the constraints of school, which is dictated by the constraints of my undiagnosed ADD. Only goals that can be accomplished in the short-term are set because I am always thinking 3 steps ahead to the part where I will inevitably grow bored/tired and want to chase after new dreams, leaving the old ones abandoned and unfulfilled. So after my many musings, I decided I want to take this little project one step further. I could make it easy on myself and leave loop holes for the days when I am feeling like cutting myself some slack but then this endeavor would be no different than any other I've ever taken on. So now I'm thinking I will round out this week eating chicken and fish and "minimally processed" foods but then starting next week I'm going to go basically completely fresh whole fruits and veggies. Baked boiled, broiled, grilled what have you but that's where I'm going to draw the line. I don't want to set myself up for failure by allowing certain transgressions so the easiest way to do so is to for once in my life be strict with myself! Not gonna lie, I think giving up the alcohol and coffee will be the hardest part but I'm pretty sure I could survive for 5 weeks. (The fact that the end of this adventure lands right into my spring break, which I'm 99.9% sure I'll be spending in Costa Rica doesn't hurt as far as proffering some motivation!)

So there you have it, I am stripping my needs down to the very basic and am leaving myself wide open to whatever benefits come along the way. And now that my laptop has sufficiently warmed my bed, I will take leave of this blog and this day. I'm ready for a new one to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment